Monday, December 08, 2008

A Narrative Account of a Dream I’ve Had About Trying to Save a Mythical Creature Volume 1:

For ages our men had not been misguided. Each looked toward the mountain knowing that somewhere, upon a rocky ledge he would be, erect and mighty, watching over us, sure that as he was, they would be: secure, strong, and through special permission granted by God himself, pure in a way none had been since Adam.
Something in the outer reaches of the world held our goodness in contempt. Unable to rise from the muck that surrounded it, this force lashed out against him with a cold and dumb violence that would force a reign of hatefulness and rot over its now cursed kingdom.
It was when I was at play in the fields that I saw him charging desperately forward; his eyes welled up, terrified and confused. His once golden horn less a crown than a rapidly browning point, his powerful body trembling and matted with blood. Immediately the future was revealed to me, and I began sobbing. I started off after him; sure that if I could save that beautiful UNICORN I would be able to convince us both that evil was a mistake from which no lasting impact save for our further commitment to good would be felt. My lungs hurt, but I continued, hearing only the deep gasps emanating from my tear-streaked face.
When I finally reached him, he was lying by a mighty tree, breathing a deep and slow groan that I could feel deep within my heart. I cradled his head, my body alternating between cries and screams.

No comments: